I'm having trouble (obviously) installing Mandrake Linux 9.0.

My computer at home, which I don't have all the specifics on here at
work, so I will try to remember them as best I can:
It used to have redhat 6.2 on it, which a friend helped me install, but
I just formatted the hard drive, so it has nothing.

I downloaded an iso of the 3 CDs from a mirror, and burnt them using
Nero.

The computer is a p1-90 mhz, with 96 mb of ram.  An ISA SB16 sound card,
and ISA Nic, an older s3 virge 4MB video card, 2 gig IDE hard drive, a 5
gig IDE hard drive, and a older 20X cd-rom (that I found out doesn't
read CD-RWs).

So, anyway, I get to select all of my packages just fine, and it
installs for about 2-3 minutes or so, and an message come up that it
fails to install the (please don't shoot me, I left the message at home)
"ip-tools.something.something" package or the
"ip-config.something.something" (it was ip something).

I hit yes to continue anyway, and it continues on until it gets to the
installing the linux kernel, and it goes for about 30 seconds and the
machine locks up (no mouse,  I let it sit for hours with no repsonse).

I've tried it three times and it has failed on the same package every
time.

I'm wondering if it's an issue reading the package(s) from my cd-rom, or
possibly something else.  I did burn it on 10x, maybe I should try
burning it on a slower speed?  Maybe my cd-rom doesn't read the larger
CD-R discs well?

Help me.

FWIW, I'm not really using this as a desktop machine, it's more of a
server that I can run SSH and FTP on so I can access from outside my
broadband connection.

Please let me know if more info is needed.