shane wrote:

On Thursday 17 October 2002 3:10 am, John Richard Smith did speak unto the huddled masses, saying:

My fstab has an entry like this
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

but each time I boot I get an error message,
mount mount mount /proc/bus/usb does not exist

Clearly, it is wrong because there is a /proc/bus/usb and it contains

[root@localhost root]# cd /proc/bus/usb
[root@localhost usb]# ls
001/ 002/ 003/ 004/ 005/ devices drivers

I should imagine the fstab entry needs adjusting, but to what ?
Anyone got a clue ?

What do the latest LM9.0 have for fstab entries ?

well, this is not my machine with the printer, i can check that later, but i have no entries at all mentioning USB in my fstab and i have a USB memory card that works great. it is listed as a scsi.
i will look at the machine with the printer and get back to you.

Shane I think you may have something, I hashed the fstab line out like this
#none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0 in fstab

but left none /proc proc defaults 0 0 alone, anyone know what this line does ?

I then rebooted to desktop.

usb printer in there in kde-info-usb devices
USB OHCI Root Hub (1)
|_____ Lexmark Z53
USB OHCI Root Hub (2)
USB UHCI Root Hub (3)
USB UHCI Root Hub (4)
USB UHCI Root Hub (5)
and what is more when I plugged my usb camera in in detected it automatically.
USB OHCI Root Hub (2)
|______!.3 DigitalCAM

It seems like I don't need this none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0 line at
all. Anyway I will try it like that for a while and see what happens.
Just to make sure ,
[root@localhost root]# cd /proc/bus/usb
[root@localhost usb]# ls
001/ 002/ 003/ 004/ 005/ devices drivers
These are the same, and ,

[root@localhost root]# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 21366 XT-PIC timer
1: 26 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
5: 37 XT-PIC usb-ohci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
10: 495 XT-PIC VIA 8233 Audio
11: 45 XT-PIC usb-ohci
12: 14302 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
14: 8745 XT-PIC ide0
15: 10 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
LOC: 0
ERR: 0
MIS: 0
which has changed slightly from before ,as follows,note cpu usage,
[root@localhost root]# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 629782 XT-PIC timer
1: 2173 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
4: 21373 XT-PIC serial ----Gone
5: 31 XT-PIC usb-ohci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci
6: 95 XT-PIC floppy
8: 3893 XT-PIC rtc
10: 960 XT-PIC VIA 8233 Audio
11: 0 XT-PIC usb-ohci