Marcia,
        Run PrinterDrake through the console.  You will get extra messages there that
you don't get through the Mandrake Control Center.  I'll bet that your
getting the following messages.

rmmod: module parport_probe is not loaded
modprobe: Can't locate module parport_probe
modprobe: Can't locate module parport_probe
rmmod: module parport_probe is not loaded

If so, I think that we have a generic problem with Mandrake 9.0.  Weird thing
is, my son has almost the exact same setup that I have K7S5A MB with 1GHz
Duron, Nvidia video.  His works fine.

Linus

Oh, you missed a later message, my system is NOT fixed.  Still broken.