Hi all,

Questions are numbered 1 2 and 3.

I want to configure $PATH and other environment
variables and I find that in /etc/profile I have:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/kde3/bin
EDITOR=emacs
HISTSIZE=1000
export EDITOR PATH HISTSIZE

And when I open a terminal I have (doing $ set RET):
HISTSIZE=500
PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

However nothing in .bashrc changes the value of these
variables, and in .bash_profile I have
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin which makes sense because I set
at the end of PATH, but why has /usr/X11R6/bin
dissapeared?
After browsing the web i think the answer is because I
don't 'source' /etc/profile in .bashrc
yes, did it and now /usr/X11R6/bin is in the path.

and what about HISTSIZE?

the following looks into /etc and subdirectories
(including init.d)

[root@brunos etc]# grep -r HISTSIZE *
grep: aliases: No such file or directory
grep: gtk/gtkrc.vi: No such file or directory
profile:HISTSIZE=1000
profile:export HISTCONTROL HISTSIZE
profile~:HISTSIZE=1000
profile~:export HISTCONTROL HISTSIZE
grep: sgml/dsssl.cat: No such file or directory
zshrc:export HISTSIZE=1000
[root@brunos etc]#

and at home

[br@brunos br]$ grep HISTSIZE *
[br@brunos br]$

1-any hint about other configuration files I should
check in order to find where HISTSIZE is set to 500?

2-do have programs executed from the desktop have a
different environment from those executed in the
konsole?

3-if answer is yes, how can I see what the environment
for the desktop is?

hope i was clear enough. any help is welcome

bruno