On Thursday 17 October 2002 11:08 am, you wrote:

> This is a very low bitrate for a video. I have used this only with a 2-Pass
> encode, as this bitrate with a 1-Pass encode doesn't give me satisfactory
> results.

Yes, I upped it to 900 and was still able to fit it onto a single CD. Video
was much improved.

> I'm not familiar with this "Ronion Warriors", or just how long the movie
> is. I'm presuming you want it to fit on 1 CD? If this is the case, you can
> download the program I created (DivXCalc) and use it to work out the
> bitrate needed to achieve a certain filesize. You can find it on
> http://tuxpower.f2g.net/divxcalc.php

I d/l'ed it, thanks!

> Yes, the lower the bitrate the more noise / artifacting. As I have said,
> use a higher bitrate, or a 2-Pass encode. I wrote up a tutorial on how to
> do this on http://tuxpower.f2g.net/mencoder.php which will hopefully give
> you lots of pointers.
>
> Greetings
> Ralph

Ralph, thats a great tutorial. I copied it into a text file for future
reference. (hope you don't mind?).

One thing. I have never changed my gcc version. Its the stock 2.96 that comes
with Mandrake 8.2 - but I've not experienced any problems yet that I know of.

I compiled MPlayer with this:

./configure --disable-gcc-checking
--enable-gui--with-win32libdir=/usr/lib/win32

(one line, of course)

and added all the files (dependencies) that Mencoder needed from the RPMs at
the Penguin Lib. Front web site.

Thanks for all your help! :-)

--
                                                                          /\