I just installed Linux as a dual boot option on a Windows machine for the
very first time today. Having always done this in an environment where Linux
was the only O/S the box, I found myself with a problem that I never
experienced with a Linux-compatible sound card. Normally, I set 'PNP O/S' in
the BIOS to 'No' when I am installing Linux by itself. If I am installing
any version of Windows 95 and up (except NT 4.0), I set this to 'yes' to
allow Windows to control IRQ and DMA assignments.

This first time install was once a system that was running MDK 9.0 for a
couple of weeks without a problem, so I already knew that there wouldn't be
a problem with any hardware. The SB AWE-64 was recognized with 'sndconfig'
and I just didn't have any problems getting it to work. The new dual-boot
install was with Windows XP Pro taking up the first 30 GBs of disk space
(purposely formatted as an NTFS partition), and MDK 9.0 taking up the
balance (about 8 GBs). Everything installed beautifully...until I got to
configuring sound in MDK. When Mr. Torvald began to tell me how he
pronounces 'Linux', he was clipped within a second of speaking and sound was
history thereafter. No matter what manual settings I made to IRQs and DMA
channels in 'sndconfig', I couldn't make it work. Then it occurred to me
that this may be a PNP issue, somehow coming about by the presence of
Windows on the system. Obviously, that can't be because it wasn't operating,
just taking up dead space at the time on the drive. That's when I thought
about the PNP setting in the BIOS...

Once I told the BIOS that the O/S was not a PNP one, it set the IRQs instead
of allowing the O/S to so. When I booted to MDK, 'sndconfig' configured the
card properly and sound was restored throughout the land.

As with all solutions, this one has to be scrutinized, have its tires kicked
and maybe tested out to see if it fits your own problem. However, I have to
wonder if many of us out there that are putting Linux onto a Windows
computer for the first time just never think to check the BIOS to make sure
that Linux gets a fair chance at making things work right. ;-)

Hoped this helps someone else out there. I'd feel awful lonely knowing no
one else had this problem...