Well if it is not able to install all  the SANE RPMs then of course it will
not capture images. You may have a bad update source defined.
Take a look at the sources in Mandrake ControlCentre>Software>SoftwareSources
Try replacing your update source with this one .
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/updates/9.0/RPMS

You might also like to install the libsane, sane-backends, xsane and
xsane-gimp RPMS from the software manager instead of letting scannerdrake do
it.

BTW: Which version of mandrake are we talking about here? Its just that I have
looked at the update list for 9.0, and I cannot see anything in there for
scanners, so I am wondering what it is trying to download.

derek