Frank Mertens wrote:

On Sunday 03 November 2002 12:48 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

I keep getting error messages in the shutdown script for NMB Serices.

I cannot find any references to NMB services, so unable to
tackle the problem.

What are NMB Serices and any ideas as to what I should do.

John

The startup / shutdown scripts of Mandrake are ill-minded anyway, so I always
write my own. But I think NMB refers to the nmbd, which belongs to the
Samba package. It's the nebios name service daemon as a counterpart
to smbd.

Frank

Thanks Frank,
That has given me something to go on.
I visited MCC - services , and noted no samba listed, which isn't surprising
because I didn''t install samba in the first place. There is something called SMB
which is running on boot.

Seems to me then that there is a piece of unwanted script in the shutdown
script that is seeking to close nmbd when no such device exists.
If this is so is it difficult to rewrite boot and shutdown scripts.
I'm guessing that they are probably bash scripts set up in some file that
is read at boot and shutdown and using a text editor with care one can
write or rewite them , is that so ?

John

--
John Richard Smith