Chuck Stuettgen wrote:

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 02:24, Frank Mertens wrote:

On Sunday 03 November 2002 12:48 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

I keep getting error messages in the shutdown script for NMB Serices.

I cannot find any references to NMB services, so unable to
tackle the problem.

What are NMB Serices and any ideas as to what I should do.

John

The startup / shutdown scripts of Mandrake are ill-minded anyway, so I always
write my own. But I think NMB refers to the nmbd, which belongs to the
Samba package. It's the nebios name service daemon as a counterpart
to smbd.

Frank

If you installed the latest initscripts package from Mandrake Update
that may be the problem. (initscripts-6.91-13.1mdk.i586.rpm) It has
problems. The update advisory from Mandrake says it fixes some problems
with some locales and "corrects some issues with wireless link
detection."

Since I primarily use my Dell I4000 MDK9.0 wirelessly. I went ahead and
installed it, even though I wasn't having any problems with my wireless
link detection. Boy was that a mistake...

I took me 6 hours to get my laptop back to the way it was before I
installed the 'update'. I had to force remove the update and reinstall
the original initscripts rpm (initscripts-6.91-10mdk.i586.rpm) Then had
to bootup in maintenance mode three times to fix everything that broke
when I removed the update.
Here are some of the 'features' of the 'updated'
initscripts-6.91-13.1mdk.i586.rpm that I experienced... YMMV.

1. NMB fails to start when booting.
2. SMB and NMB both fail to shutdown.
3. Wireless card is unable to detect a DHCP server on boot.
If you are NOT in one of the affected locales and you are NOT having
having any issues with wireless link detection, I would recommend you
skip this update.

Chuck,
I am so glad I didn't then.
Not only did I not install the undate until a few hours ago I didn't
even have the slightest knowledge what NMB was about, actually
all I wanted to do was to do something about the shutdaown
error message I keep getting. I don't really know what to do if
anything, I suppose I could just ignore it, but it irks me to see
this M9.0 shutdown error message. I don't actually need wireless
connection at all, or do I , doesn't that depend upon programmes
like real player being installed. As you can see I'm still guessing
what NMB is all about
John

--
John Richard Smith