I'm expecting my pre-ordered disks any day now, and, in the light of problems
others have had with hardware no longer working, at least out of the box, I
have to make decisions.  At the same time, I feel that I have a HDD
catastrophe waiting to happen.

Currently I have two 20Gb disks and a 4Gb installed.  You can guess how old
that one is (it has my /home on it), but the others are not so young either.

I think the best solution for the moment is to keep win98 (I still have a
couple of essential apps there), keep Mdk 8.2 and install Mdk 9.0 as well.
It would not, I think, be sensible to put in a fourth disk, so I'm wondering
whether to put the lot onto 1 large disk, or split the os's - perhaps win98
on a separate one?  Any pros and cons?

If I back up /etc /home /root and /var can I take it that I could find and
restore any settings (including my mailboxes) that I may need?

I presume that if I do this it would still be wise to install win98 first.
Are there any problems about installing the two versions of Mdk after that?
I know some of you do have more than one.

Finally, if and when I get Mdk 9.0 as I want it, is it straightforward to get
rid of 8.2 without risk to win98 and 9.0?  I would guess that it is simply a
matter of reformatting that partition and then re-running lilo.  Am I right?

Any more thoughts?

Anne