Anne; Interesting situation! Your 4Gb HDD is currently holding your
/home partition? Brave! Very Brave! That hard drive has to be  2 or 3
years PAST it's MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure), and it's holding your
personal data?

I'd like to suggest that you skip the new hard drive idea, unless you
want a large drive for storage, and stick with the 2 20's. I'd
reccommend setting up Windows 98 on the first drive, with ML8.2 nestled
right in beside it. Using 5 Gigs for Win98, and 6 for 8.2, would leave
you with roughly 8 or 9 Gigs for storage, and if you formatted the last
partition using FAT32, both O/S's would have unlimited access to it.

When you start the installs, make sure your 4 Gb drive is also
connected, but change the "Mount Point" to something like "/temp", and
DO NOT format it. Later, you can drag 'n' drop all relevant files from
your "/temp/anne" folder to the corresponding folder(s) on your Mandrake
installs (yes,...both of them).

When your 9.0 CD's arrive, install it on the second 20 Gig drive, again
using 6 Gigs for the install, and the remainder for storage. If you
store all your downloads, documents, graphics, etc., on the storage
partitions, you should be able to re-install broken O/S's without fear
of losing or compromising any important data. You should have No problem
re-locating your Win98 "My Documents" folder to one of those storage
partitions, simply by right-clicking the desktop folder > Properties >
> Move. After that, all documents will be automatically saved there, and
recalled from there when re-opening them.

Each version of Mandrake installed will write a new "lilo.conf" file,
and should easily find all the other O/S's you have on the system. This
will also allow you to quickly restore most anything simply by running
the "Expert Upgrade" option in either Mandrake CD set that you have.

Once your installs are finished, and you've copied your original /home
folder contents from the 4 Gb drive, un-mount it from your system, make
sure your "fstab" files are written properly, shutdown the system, and
remove it. That way, you'll always have it available for emergencies,
but it won't get any older, nor will it face potential damage from power
failures.

Occasionally, you can reconnect it and copy your /home data onto it for
updated storage of critical information, then un-mount and store back on
a shelf.

Just a suggestion, but definitely safer than relying on that old hard
drive.

Lanman