Before I go on with my answers, I'd like to point out that DVD
performance totally sucks under 9.0, and so does CD burning. I wonder
if the pathetic network performance is related.

Also, I have tried adding "noapic" to the appropriate place in lilo.

On 03 Nov 2002 00:12:03 -0600
Erik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Have you tried...

I dual-boot into XP (for games, of course) and when I did a FTP
transfer from XP a minute ago, it worked normally. I'm guessing
hardware is not the problem.

> ...what is the difference in the NICs used--10/100?

All my machines use 10/100 NICs.

> ...using the best match in drivers for the NIC in the desktop machine?

It's using the 8139too driver, which was chosen automagically during
installation. If memory serves, that's what it was under 8.2 aswell.
How would I determine if it's best?

> Route table?

Huh?

> DNS service?

I don't run BIND, if that's what you mean.

> Netmask?  Gateway IP the same or both desktop and laptop?

Desktop is 192.168.0.1; laptop is 192.168.0.2; router 192.168.0.7.
All use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

> Is your local network set up on the entire class C or is it subnetted?

Not sure what that means.

> Are your base IP and your broadcast IP totally free
> or does one or the other share an IP with the router or a box?  (no
> router or box on xxx.xxx.xxx.0 [presuming the subsnet begins with .0 and
> whatever IP you are using for broadcast])--and does the subnet mask
> match or did you use 255.255.255.0?

desktop's ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes

laptop's ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.0.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes

Router's ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.0.7
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes

I never make anything .0 or .225, no.

> Did you accidently put two boxes on the same IP?

I've done that in the past, but not this time ;-)

> I'll do the best I can to assist.

Thanks much.

Miark