On Monday 04 November 2002 04:28, Marc wrote:
>      A friend and I have been discussing linux in general and Mandrake in
> particular. below is part of a email that I received from him. Can anyone
> suggest some good reading material for this guy?
>
>     Thanks all
>     Marc
>
> >>   Personaly I have always found that working with it while I am
> >> learning works best for me . On computers and about anything elese
> >>for that matter. But maybe that is  just me I seem to learn in kinda a
> >>different way than most people.
> >
> >That's usually true for me to, but in this case, don't want to upset my
> >applecart with regarding the things I use everyday... If I had a third
> >computer to play and learn on, that'd be different. And remember
> >learning enough to run my own is not enough, I want to be able to work
> >on others as well. So a lot of playing and futzing is required. And I'm
> >the kinda guy thats gotta have a gestalt. I need to build a construct
> >in my head of how this thing works and where all the switches and
> >buttons are just like I have with Winblows. Right now, I'm just
> >learning the terminology. And the tutuorials I'm finding so far are all
> >geek speek. They use one set of technical terms to explain another...
> >it's a circle.

The way I read it (tween the lines) your friend wants a book on the gui and
how it works. find something on KDE (or gnome), not linux in particular for
him and he'll be happy. It'll be familiar enough methinks, to get him
acquainted:o)

the 'geeck' (commandline) will come in good time.

Good luck,
Harm.