Dark Lord and Harm,

I know that I have had this discussion here with others before, but...if you
check in  /etc/sysconfig/rc.sysinit, scroll down until you find the section
that deals with turning DMA on for drives... (as quoted)

"# Turn off DMA on CD-ROMs. It more often than not causes problems.
if [ -x /sbin/hdparm -a -e /proc/ide ]; then
  for N in `grep -v ide-disk /proc/ide/*/*/driver 2>/dev/null | awk -F /
'{ print $5 }'`; do
   hdparm -q -d0 /dev/$N >/dev/null 2>&1
  done
fi"

There are other cautions about applying DMA to your hard drives in the
'harddrives' file. My guess is that if you are running an older hard drive
(please help me define 'older' since there doesn't seem to be an exact
cut-off date for this inability in some drives), you could end up screwing
the pooch with your data. The worst that seems to happen with incompatible
CD-ROMs is that they just don't work right. I have no idea what would happen
to a CD-RW in a burning operation if it shouldn't have DMA applied. Since I
set mine to use it, I will find out soon enough. :-) Since Harm's has DMA
turned on, I can only guess Mandrake sensed that his drives could handle it
on installation or when harddrake kicks in during boot up?

My days with computers goes back some and I think that I just have a
tendency to side towards caution because of old memories with old problems.
If someone is using older drives, I guess I wouldn't advice activating DMA
unless the consequences weren't a big deal. It seems that with ROM drives,
you experiment and see if you like the results.

Anyway, that's the reason Mandrake chooses not to automatically turn DMA
always on...

T :-)