On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:18:02 +0100
Anders Lind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello friends,
>
> now with the keen help of this list I have managed to solve
> my NFS-problems and now I encountered something else:
>
> I wanted to upgrade my Sylpheed-version to 0.8.5 from 0.8.2
> that I am using today. RPM misses a lot of dependcies and
> I don't wanna work through them all so I decided to try
> and compile it myself instead (Kvirc3 took about two hours
> to compile on my Pentium 166 (I don't want to think about how
> long a kernel compile would take LOL)) but when I run ./configure
> on this MDK 8.2-system I get the following error:
>
> Checking for GLIB-version >= 1.2.6... no
> The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
> If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG enviroment variable to the
> full path to glib-config
>
> Now I have a couple of questions.
>
> This has been tried on two MDK 8.2-machines with the same result
> which leads me to think that GLIB is strangely installed if at all
> installed on 8.2 (Please note that I do not have Gnome installed,
> but I have Gnome-libs and so on installed). I tried to download a
> glib-RPM but only with the result that there was a conflict if
> tried to upgrade (Which should mean that glib is installed I guess)
> If I do whereis glib I cannot find it. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction on what I should and can do

Sorry Anders.  Can't help, but you should know that this seems to be a common problem.
 I have had similar messages with many other installs, in particular
with packages from magazine cover disks.  The GLIB one has certainly come up.
Nobody has yet put forward an explanation, let alone a fix, so it must be
some kind of bug in the installation script, which I would guess would be propagated
from one script to another if a faulty script is used as a template.
As far as I can recall there have been instances of a first time install
where configure looks for a pre-existing config script - not logical at all.
That is why I feel it must be a bug.  I certainly never had the time to try
and track it down.  I have completely lost patience with tarball installations.

Please let us know if you do fix your problem.

Len Lawrence