On November 7, 2002 08:17 am, Gary Armstrong wrote:
> Couple of questions from a true newbie:
>
> 1) How do you figure out the names of applications available to solve a
> particular need?
Google and rpmfind.net are your best friends.

> 2) In particular, I'm looking for the best FREE case tool. I'm trying to
> demo argo(is there a better one?). The home page didn't appear to have
> an rpm. How do I know if there is one out there in the ether? It also
> requires jre which doesn't seem to be installed on my mdk9.0 machine.
> Tried urpmi java and it doesn't appear to be on the CDs either, but not
> knowing what it's called, this could all be a newbie problem.
In Google type 'Case tools for Linux,. 846,000 hits. Java is commercial and
not on downloaded CD,s. Here is a URL for jre1.4

http://freeunix.dyndns.org:8088/ftp_site/pub/unix/sun-j2re/

> 3) I've been using the Mozilla browser. Its download manager doesn't
> appear capable of restarting. That has already been painful. Can I get
> it to use a different download manager and what would that be? Is there
> some better way?
In contrib section of ML9 mirrors is a program called -d4x- Great downloader.

www.rpmfind.net

> 5) How much difference is there between linux distributions? As in, does
> the doc for one release apply to all? Is there some kind of enormous
> organized FAQ out there?
Mainly in treatment of desktops. Distro's try to keep docs up to date but it's
a major chore. Mandrake does the best job as far as newbie's go. Again, the
best way to get answers is either this list or Google.

> TIA
> Gary
If you need more help, just ask;-))

Spence