----- Original Message -----
From: Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:32:07 +0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] housecleaning /tmp directories

> On Thursday 07 Nov 2002 1:07 pm, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 15:15, Angus Auld wrote:
> > > I was wondering about /tmp directories and the directories and files they
> > > contain. Is it necessary or a good idea to delete these once in a while?
> > > Any other stuff that needs deleting?
> > >
> > > I like to keep things clean ;-)
> > >
> > > TIA's for any thoughts.
> > >
> > > --Angus
> >
> > Be careful of what you delete in the /tmp directory - it's NOT like the
> > Widoze C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory where you can literally wipe out
> > everything - there is socket information for X11 contained in there -
> > generally, linux cleans itself up moreso than does Winders...you might
> > want to make sure your browser cache is cleaned out, though - and any
> > stray source code left over from compiling proggies is cleaned up - but
> > other than that, you shouldn't have to worry...
> >
> > Stephen
>

> If you look in /etc/cron.daily/ you will see that one of the daily chores
> performed by cron is to run tmpwatch.
>
> tmpwatch will delete any file in /tmp which has not been accessed for 240
> hours
>
> So you do not need to do anything  :)
>
> derek

Thanks for that Derek........so that's how things get cleaned up. The /tmp directory
in ~/ is exempt from this auto-magic cleaning. I guess I dump stuff there, so I have
to keep it clean ;-)

All the best.

--Angus

"This is the Earth School......always in session. Now is the right time to learn, and
teach."--A.A.