I have been having this problem all along, with the first time I ever loaded
8.2 being the only exception --- when I try to use Mandrake Online to update
MDK 8.2, it returns a dialog box that says, "Mandrake Online could not be
contacted, please try again at a later time." It only worked the very first
time I installed 8.2; never again thereafter!

Here's what I understand (or think I do...):

I go on-line with MDK to create a user account. I give my info and it sends
me back a cookie to authenticate me, my machine and what updates have been
applied. Like most, I have had to wipe out my 8.2 installation several times
for various reasons, so when I went through the subscription process, I used
the same account information, allowing MDK to recognize me. As soon as it
does, it begins to ask my computer for specific info about itself. After
that.....it gives me this error message. If I create a new account, it
doesn't change the outcome. I even removed the cookies thinking that would
set things straight at my end. UH-uh.

I have gone into my profile section of MDK Expert and tried to create
multiple machines for the one account, or even new accounts, and it still
doesn't change anything for me. I have to say, I am not excited about
Mandrake's Web site interaction. It seems weird to me that I need to go to
the Expert section to manage a feature that newbies would be more inclined
to rely on. Be that as it may, I just would like to see if I can get this
feature to work for my MDK boxes. I know that I can update my boxes
manually, but it seems to me this is a really neat feature and that it
probably works for everyone else.

Pertinent facts to help everyone:

Online always through cable modem. Firewalled through Lynksys Etherfast
Cable Modem /DSL Router. No connectivity problems with the known outside
universe. MDK 8.2 is running beautifully.

So....

Has anyone experienced this, and then found out what to do to resolve the
conflict?

TIA,