On Friday 08 Nov 2002 1:06 pm, Technoslick wrote:
> I have been having this problem all along, with the first time I ever
> loaded 8.2 being the only exception --- when I try to use Mandrake Online
> to update MDK 8.2, it returns a dialog box that says, "Mandrake Online
> could not be contacted, please try again at a later time." It only worked
> the very first time I installed 8.2; never again thereafter!
>
> Here's what I understand (or think I do...):
>
> I go on-line with MDK to create a user account. I give my info and it sends
> me back a cookie to authenticate me, my machine and what updates have been
> applied. Like most, I have had to wipe out my 8.2 installation several
> times for various reasons, so when I went through the subscription process,
> I used the same account information, allowing MDK to recognize me. As soon
> as it does, it begins to ask my computer for specific info about itself.
> After that.....it gives me this error message. If I create a new account,
> it doesn't change the outcome. I even removed the cookies thinking that
> would set things straight at my end. UH-uh.
>
> I have gone into my profile section of MDK Expert and tried to create
> multiple machines for the one account, or even new accounts, and it still
> doesn't change anything for me. I have to say, I am not excited about
> Mandrake's Web site interaction. It seems weird to me that I need to go to
> the Expert section to manage a feature that newbies would be more inclined
> to rely on. Be that as it may, I just would like to see if I can get this
> feature to work for my MDK boxes. I know that I can update my boxes
> manually, but it seems to me this is a really neat feature and that it
> probably works for everyone else.
>
> Pertinent facts to help everyone:
>
> Online always through cable modem. Firewalled through Lynksys Etherfast
> Cable Modem /DSL Router. No connectivity problems with the known outside
> universe. MDK 8.2 is running beautifully.
>
> So....
>
> Has anyone experienced this, and then found out what to do to resolve the
> conflict?
>
> TIA,

Maybe I misunderstand this, but I thought all Mandrake Online did was to send
Mandrake a list of the packages you had installed, and then they would send
you an e mail if one of them had an update available.

You certainly do not need Mandrake Online to perform an update. All you have
to do is run Mandrake Update, let it get the list of updatable packages, and
then tick the packages you want updating.  (Do not forget to select the
'bugfixes' and 'normal updates' buttons in addition to the 'security'
button.)

BTW: If Mandrake Update is very slow, you probably have a bad mirror selected)

derek