I have been trying unsuccessfully to launch XMMS automatically on boot,
or alternatively whenever any user logs in. I use several different
windows managers so a wm-specific solution such as using
~/Desktop/Autostart won't work for me. I've searched this list for
ideas, and have tried:

* "xmms -p /home/warren/.xmms/xmms.m3u" in /etc/rc.local. I've tried it
both as the last line and as the next to last line. Fails silently.
* "exec xmms -p /home/warren/.xmms/xmms.m3u" in ~/.xinitrc. Fails
silently.
* "xmms -p /home/warren/.xmms/xmms.m3u" in ~/.bashrc. Works, but
annoyingly restarts XMMS ever time I open a terminal, which is often.

Yes, the command "xmms -p /home/warren/.xmms/xmms.m3u" given manually in
a terminal does work.

What else might I try?
--
Warren Post