On Saturday 09 November 2002 01:12 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> My daughter has tried commercial dvd films on her new win98 box.  Some
> disks run without problems, but others crash the system.
>
> This is a problem I've never seen before.  Has anyone else met it?  Are
> there any solutions?
>
> Anne

Hi Anne;

When I'm forced to install any version of Windows on a system for anyone I
always include a copy of the utility Neil Rubenking of PC Magazine wrote
because of this problem. It's called "Startup Cop" and you can use it to make
"profiles" that allow you to switch from (for instance) "work" and "play."

Why use it? Simple. You may not want to permanently stop anti-virus, firewall,
time synchronisation, instant messenger, etc apps from running in the
background. Other times (if you have an always on high speed connection for
example) you may not even want to be connected to the 'net while you run a
game or video that firewalls or AV programs will crash. Right? That would
probably mean a "work" profile would include these but "play" (gaming,
watching videos and so on) wouldn't. Profiles, remember?

I used the program when I ran Windows 'cause I was to lazy to do the
"msconfig" thing every time I wanted to do something that required more
resources than Windows default boot left available. Three clicks (to switch
profiles) was preferable to typing and reading a list and having to fight
Windows for control.

If you know what I mean. You can read about it and download the free app at
the link below.

Regards;
--
Charlie