Richard; Before deciding what to do with your server, start by asking
yourself if you plan on using it for quite a while, and whether or not it
will become an important piece of your network. Slapping a server together
out of spare parts and setting it up as a learning experience is always a
good thing, but if you plan on relying on that server for storing important
data, Internet gateway, FTP site, web-site, email, etc., then it makes good
sense to invest some money into a reliable piece of equipment.

Once you know the answer to these questions, you'll know how much money to
invest in the server.

By the way, sounds like your motherboard is NFG, and don't consider running
a server on a Cyrix CPU, unless it's only for fun. Assuming that you've got
some additional PC's connected to your network, consider using one of the
more powerful ones as your server, and replacing that PC with something
better.

As an example, a PII-350 with 512 Mb of Ram, and a 10Gb drive to run the
server, should do pretty good, as long as you install a second hard drive
for storage purposes. If you install a CD burner in the server, then all
the systems on your network should be able to share it via "webmin", or
Samba, allowing everyone in the house to burn CD's without disturbing
anyone else.

I haven't heard of a cablemodem that allows you to plug a hub into it, but
the easiest way to solve any issues with that, would be to install 2
network cards in the server - one for the cablemodem, and one to the hub
for the rest of your network.

Get started with that and get back to the list.

Lanman