I have a Soyo Dragon + motherboard and had a similar problem. In my case the solution was to set the permissions in /dev/sound/* to rw. after that I haven't had any more problems and the sound works great. An excellent reference can be found at the following url

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=C-Media&card=CMI8738&chip=CMI8738&module=cmipci

HTH

Graham

Paul Rodolfo Rodriguez wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if anybody here knows how or has been able to get
the On-Board sound working on a Soyo motherboard. I have Soyo Dragon+
which is known to be very Linux friendly, but have not been able to get
the sound to work.

- Paul