Angus,

All of us like to see things snap at our beck and call. It's part of being
human. Sometimes, there's a fix, though. You don't know unless you ask. ;-)

The answer to your question was provided earlier by a couple of people, but
I like Tom Brinkman's earlier post, best. I have paraphrased and embellished
what he wrote to make it make more sense out of context. Before you follow
the steps outlined, you need to make sure that you have 'hardparm'
installed. For whatever reason, I didn't, and had to figure this out to get
my end to work. The RPM is on either CD1 or CD2, I can't remember, off hand.
Once that is loaded, it will create the file 'harddisks':

1) Change over to the /etc/sysconfig directory

2) Edit the file, 'harddisks', and remove the # in front of 'USE_DMA=1'

3) Create a separate configuration file for each drive that you wish to give
DMA access to (read-only devices, burners, etc.), with the appropriate drive
letter added to the end of the file name. This is done by copying the
original 'harddisks' to each new configuration name:

'cp harddisks harddiskhd?' (where ? is the drive letter for CD-ROM and/or
CD-RW drives)

examples:
'cp harddisks harddiskhdc'
'cp harddisks harddiskhdd'

So far, everything is working find with my MDK 9 installation. I am tempted
to do the same in my MDK 8.2 box to see what the affects of DMA is on my
Acer CD-RW. I imagine I will be making some drink coasters to give out as
gifts for Christmas! ;-D