I figured out the (extremely stupid) problem was that the first page I
read that I saw posted here seemed to be saying that the line belonged in
the section of lilo.conf for the linux image I was booting, ie in what
most people make the tab delimeted line below "image = ".  Putting the
line where it belonged before all mention of the image to use solved that
problem, and incidentally, the next web page referred to here led to a
greatly simplified web page (sorry, addresses not on hand) with much
clearer instructions and things now appear to be working wonderfully.
I'll burn my first Audio CD in the morning.  (This NEVER would work under
windows.  THANK YOU LINUX GODS, WHEREEVER YOU ARE!!!)

It's so cool to do things in linux that don't work elsewhere...

Later,
 David

"Without the Law, there is no Liberty.  Without Justice, there is no Law."