Listen to your provider.  From what I have been able to obtain in the
way of information this is more necessary when winmodems and Windows are
involved.  Also, one may want to adjust them carefully.  You may
increase your traffic over the net one way or the other at the expense
of the other processes you are running on your computer at the time.

This isn't the final word though.  If you hear something different feel
free to play with those settings and let us know of the results.

Ken Wilson
First Law of Optimization: The speed of a nonworking program is
irrelevant
(Steve Heller, 'Efficient C/C++ Programming')