On Saturday 16 Nov 2002 6:01 pm, you wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:47:42 +0000
>
> John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >When installing v.9.0 I considered sharing the existing /home directory,
> > >which I was told is possible.  However, I then realised that I would be
> > >likely to cause version conflicts in the various dot file/directories
> > > unless I registered as a different user.  Then I considered what I
> > > would have to do about the existing other users - problems.
> > >
> > >The other users never log on directly, but need access from their
> > > windows machines over samba, partly for filesharing and partly for
> > > backup of their work.
> > >
> > >Possible solution - clean install with new /home, mount old home as
> > > /oldhome, copy their data only onto the new setup.
> > >
> > >a)  Will I be able to mount the old home in this way, or will 9.0 insist
> > > that I already have a /home?  They will not be on the same hdd, if that
> > > makes any difference (don't see why it would).
> > >
> > >b)  Any other comments?  Anything I need to think more about?
> > >
> > >Anne
> >
> > I don't think there is anything to worry about in regard to a shared
> > /home partition.
> > You will of course have the same user profile for both OS's, that is all.
> >
> > I choose not to have one /home partition. I don't think it's possible to
> > share the same
> > /home directory, persumeably in one or other Mandrake OS. Each OS has
> > it's own
> > /home directory, and you may set them up hower you desire. Generally
> > speaking
> > it's not fifficult to copy setup files from one /home directory to
> > another, which aids
> > the user configuration process.
> >
> > John
> >
> > --
> > John Richard Smith
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> There is no need to create new home directiries so long as you take one
> simple precaution when you install 9.0
>
> Simply add your users in *exactly* the same order as you did when you
> installed 8.2

Problem is, something weird happened when I re-installed.  I found that I was
user 501, and the next user I added was 500.  I suppose I could remove him
and add him again to get a higher number, as I imagine that I will probably
be added as 500.

What do you think?

> This will ensure that each user has the same UID number (User
> Identification Number) as in the old installation. And the ownerships of
> all the files in the existing home directories will be OK.

When I copied the user files back I had to change the owner of all their
files - fortunately not too many yet.

> Add the users in a different order and crazy things will happen like files
> in userA's home will only be readable by userB
>

> There is no need to worry about the 'dotfiles' in the homes.  KDE will for
> example automatically upgrade a kde2.2 ~/kde directory to kde3 format the
> first time you log in.  You will not lose any config data.

But what will happen when I log in to 8.2 again?

Anne