On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:07:54 -0800
Don and Alexa Pongracz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I believe I am having problems defining my host. I am networked to my husbands
>computer and we get our internet services from shaw.ca. when I am asked to define the
>host it wants me to be very specific. The book says to use data provided by your ISP.
>Well and good but shaw cable says that as I am networked, despite the fact we pay for
>two computers, it is my problem and I must deal with it myself. Their solution is for
>me to connect to the cable directly, which would create different settings, and I
>think that would be useless. So - question - when I am defining host, what is the
>right way to go?

If I understand you correctly you have a local lan segment linking your computer to
your Husbands.His computer is attached to the Shaw Cable network.

If so then connect it up like this
Your husband will have a second lan interface with an address something like
192.168.1.1 He will have internet connection sharing set up in his Windows config.

Open Mandrake ControlCentre>Network&Internet>NetworkConnection
Go through the Wizard and set the parameters like this

Hostname=  whateveryoulike.localdomain
 DHCP= no
IP address= 192.168.1.2  (or whatever)
subnetmask= 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway= 192.168.1.1  (the IP address of your husbands computer)
DNS Server= IP address of Shaws Primary DNS server as found here
http://support.shaw.ca/troubleshooting/dnsservers.htm  )

That should be it  :)

Any problems blame your husband/and or Windows/Bill Gates

derek