From: L.V.Gandhi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 20 November 2002 2:32 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] OpenOffice Spell Checker.

On Wednesday 20 Nov 2002 3:44 am, Spencer wrote:

On November 19, 2002 01:47 pm, Craig Williamson (ENZ) wrote
Before anyone makes wild assumptions about what Mandrake did or did not

do,

please ensure that you have the appropriate OO help rpm installed, such

as;

file:/Cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/OpenOffice.org-help-en-1.0.1-9mdk.i586.rpm

All spellchecking is enabled with installation of this rpm.
No. I was having this rpm. But still spell check was not working. However as

per post as given below relevant rpms for languages are installed.
"with MySpell dictionary and hyphenation dictionary installed (en_US)
[mdk 9.0 CD 3], in OO.o, open: Tools > Options > Language Settings >
Writing Aids and then check the first box in the top section (turning on
MySpell spell checker). In other sections of that window, you can set
the options, including automatic spell checking (incorrectly spelled
words will be underlined in red). It works fine for me."
It started working.

I know that the mandrake guys are really clued up about what they
do, maybe they did disable the spell checker on purpose, maybe it was a
genuine mistake. If they did it on purpose, they would most likely try
and push the fix to the solution as StarOffice (hence the powerpack
statement) or possibly even the Mandrake Club. If true, it smells of a
Microsoft tactic. Disable an important feature in a cheaper program,

and

push the solution as the more expensive option.

It could also be a mistake, no bodies perfect. In my experiences
with Mandrake9.0, there are a lot of bugs that keep me from completely
dropping windows. This problem is pretty big for a lot of people, and I
am sure that if Mandrake didn't ship StarOffice as well, OpenOffice

would

have been working correctly.

This may be an oversight by mandrake in setting dependencies like drakefont working dependencies. Attributing motives by a few to mandrake guys is not
in good taste. I think it may not be fact.

That is correct, and if your OOword screen looks like mine you have two spellchecker
tabs on the lefthand side of the OOword window, the blue one does a full spellcheck
the red wavy line one merely underlines wrongly spelt words.

John

John

--
John Richard Smith