On Thursday 21 Nov 2002 8:18 am, Jonathan Dlouhy wrote:

> > > I have k3b installed and when I run it from a command line I get this
> > > error: k3b: undefined symbol: static_QUType_varptr. If I run the setup
> > > program I get this: k3bsetup: undefined symbol:
> > > _ZN18QMetaObjectCleanUpC1EPKcPFP11QMetaObjectvE
> > >
> > > That's it, the program won't launch at all...
> > >
> > > So, if you can help that would be great!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > I am running k3b-0.7.1-1mdk on 9.0  No issue like that at all.  Where did
> > you get your version from?
> >
> > I configured both my CD-RW and CD-ROM as ide-scsi devices, and then the
> > set up application worked OK,although I did not trust it to rewrite my
> > fstab file and did it by hand.
> >

> > derek
>
> derek, I think it's fixed now. I used the RPM from texstar, and it wanted
> one file called libxft.so.2. I found that on RPMFIND, installed it (RedHat
> RPM), then installed the tex release of k3b.
> Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.
> I'd like your personal opinion on this: do you think it matters in any way
> who made the RPMs, whether it's Mandrake, RH or tex. In other words is
> there any point to searching endlessly for an RPM from Mandrake or is it
> just as well to "mix and match"?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Jon  Yes it does matter who builds your RPMS.  RPMS can be built well, and
they can be built badly. Texstar builds good RPMs.  He builds them against a
standard 9.0 distribution. No cooker packages, and no third party packages.
So you can be fairly confident they will work.  HOWEVER, sometimes his RPMs
do depend on other RPMs of his own, and that is what you have just
experienced. He has built k3b with libxft2 as a dependency.

What you have done is found a RedHat version of libxft2  which is NOT built
against a Mandrake 9.0 distro. So you may have introduced font problems by
doing so.  What I recommend you do is remove RedHats libxft2 and replace it
with Texstars.

Tex's libxft2 is part of a series of packages Tex has built to dramatically
improve the fonts in Mandrake 9.0. Others packages affected are fontconfig ,
freetype2, and libqt3. (as described here:
http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/Xft-2.html  )

I suggest you add Texstar as a urpmi source and then everything gets sorted
out automatically.

In a root terminal (all on one line)
urpmi.addmedia texstar
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.0/rpms

with ./hdlist.cz

Mandrake Software Manager  will then find Texstar packages as well as Mandrake
ones.

Update the source now and again with the command
urpmi.update -a

derek