I have never compiled anything in Linux beyond that of the kernel, and that
was many years ago. Yes, I would like to try that. However, I am at a loss
as to what actually has to be done. I am also not sure that just changing
the X-server is going to be enough in RH, because of the way the distro has
made all WMs follow their prescribed look. I might have to install a generic
version of KDE or Gnome, too. I have read where some RH users have not
accepted the new look and had to do this. It seems daunting to a newbie, and
the amount of time that I have to 'play' in my learning has to be weighed
against the fact that I am not making any money in my business when I do. It
really sucks to have to work for a living! :-)

If you have done something like this before, and can briefly outline the
steps, I would appreciate it. I have been to the XFree86 site, but not spent
a lot of time there, as yet. Any other references on-line? BTW, I did post
this concern on RH's 'install' listserv. There wasn't any usefull help. I
posted it OT here because the solution leads me to being able to handle
Mandrake related issues as well. Learning Linux is still learning Mandrake,
INHO.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Is it worth my time as a newbie,
or should be left for a future project when I am a little more experienced
and capable?