On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 08:20, Michael Adams wrote:

> The computer on 56k MoDem connected ok to the net but web pages were not
> fetching. I guess this was because the IP request was not sending the correct
> IP address for my computer but was sending a default address (0.0.0.0).
> (Correct me if this is wrong John).

Not quite. It wasn't that you were sending a default address. The
routing table is specific to your computer and network.

Without getting too technical, it works something like this:

If you wished to send a message to another computer on your network, say
from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.2, your computer begins reading the
routing table from top to bottom and stops once it sees that the network
192.168.0.0/24 is on interface eth0. After a further process of finding
the specific machine to send to (which I won't go into here), it sends
the message through eth0 to the destination.

But what happens when you want to communicate with someone outside your
network?

In the case of the Internet, you can't have listings in your routing
table for all the networks out there, so you have a default gateway
defined in your routing table, which says, 'if you don't know where this
network is, send it here'. The route to the default gateway is the
default route, and the default route is notated as 0.0.0.0. It is always
the last route in your routing table.

All the computers on your network that are not connected to the Internet
require a default route that points to the computer that is connected to
the Internet. On the computer that is connected to the Internet, you
require a default route that points to the Interface that is connected
directly to the Internet.

In your case, you had a default route and gateway defined in
/etc/sysconfig/network pointing to eth0 and kppp was refusing to replace
it with a default route pointing to the Internet when it came up. By
getting rid of the previous default route, kppp was able to give you a
default route (0.0.0.0) to the Internet on interface ppp0.

I hope that helps,

Kind regards,

John...