On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 03:01, Carl J. Bauman wrote:
> No.  Got 2 different results, though.  The first one popped up a message
> box that said the document was empty.  The second one said that the
> connection was refused.   I don't know if it's important but I'm using
> Netscape 7.0.  When I use the localhost hostname for both of those
> ports, it pulls up search.netscape.com.
>
> What's interesting to me is that I get the default Apache webpage
> whether I use http://127.0.0.1/ or http://localhost/.   Is a mystery.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Carl

IP addresses on your linux box generally are "aliases" to something else.
127.0.0.1 is the loopback device, and is "localhost" - if you set a
static IP or have a DHCP address, you're going to have yet another host
"alias" or "hostname" to contend with - and that generally will be on
interface eth0 (or whatever).

For instance, I have an ethernet card set to a static IP address of
192.168.0.1 - and the hostname is "kilgore_trout.kma.com.au" - but on
the loopback device, the IP address is 127.0.0.1 and the hostname is
"localhost". Confused yet?

For me to access either Webmin or anyhting else - CUPS and the likes, I
access them via https://192.168.0.1:XXXXXXX - which, for me, makes it
all the more easy - besides, I bookmark them for local use anyways.

If you're completely unable to get to CUPS or SWAT or Webmin, you might
want to double check your httpd settings (/etc/httpd/httpd.conf)...or
restart CUPS and HTTPD via the services applet in MCC.

...OR, it could be a subversive action by the Mandrake team to confuse
YOUR computer and make it a slave of the growing millions of anarchists
collaborating on world domination (oxymoronic smart-assed remark)(grin)

Cheers!

--
Mon Nov 25 10:30:00 EST 2002
   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

Gerrold's Laws of Infernal Dynamics:
        (1) An object in motion will always be headed in the wrong direction.
        (2) An object at rest will always be in the wrong place.
        (3) The energy required to change either one of these states
           will always be more than you wish to expend, but never so
           much as to make the task totally impossible.