On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 18:58, Hal Wigoda wrote:
>  What does editting the /etc/ld.so.conf do?
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Good question!
When binaries look for dependent libraries, they need to know where to
look - almost like a "path" statement, but for libs. So, in essence,
when you edit the /etc/ld.so.conf and make sure that the basic library
paths are in there, and you run ldconfig to rebuild the path cache,
you're ensuring that programs you install or compile will be able to
find the proper dependencies.

Doesn't it really suck when you KNOW you've got QT3 installed, but when
you're compiling a proggie you get errors that QT3 ain't there?

By making sure, you're only creating a more stable environment from
which to work, play, compile, program and more...

...just good sysadmin stuff mate!

--
Mon Nov 25 22:15:00 EST 2002
   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes.  I get stranger things than you free
with my breakfast cereal.
                -- Zaphod Beeblebrox