-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Jordan Elver
Sent: Wednesday, 27 November 2002 7:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Postfix Config

On Tuesday 26 Nov 2002 7:36 pm, Franki wrote:
> Stick with postfix, its far easier them m4's and the like...
>
> you might find postfix easier if you use webmin..
>
> generially yes, postfix should have a domain name..
>
> you may be able to get it sort of functioning without it.. but its a good
> idea...
>
> do you have a static IP address??? if so, try doing a lookup on it, my ISP
> gives all its Ip's numeric subdomains.. and they are find for a mail
> server...
>
> when you send mail, (or try to) what is showing up in
> /var/log/mail/warnings? or info, or errors
>
> that info will help us determine whats wrong..
>
> Also, postfix in mdk9 sometimes installs wrong.. so if you don't have a
> head of symlinks and lib files in
> /var/spool/postfix/lib then uninstall and reinstall postfix..
>
> I had that problem twice and both times manually reinstalling postfix
fixed
> it.
> (and strangely enough, postfix gave no real outward sign that there was a
> problem, it just wouldn't work properly.)

Thanks Frank. I already had a free sub domain from no-ip.com. As soon as I
chaged the hostname etc for that. it worked fine :-)

There is something I don't understand though. How does my ISPs receiving
mail
server know that the domain I supplied is legit? Could I in theory add any
domain that is online?

Thanks very much for your help,
Cheers,
Jord