On Thursday 28 Nov 2002 9:34 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:
> On Thursday 28 November 2002 01:02 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 Nov 2002 5:57 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Out of curiosity I decided to try the card reader again, now 9.0 is
> > > settled in.  To my surprise MCC recognises it as follows:
> >
> > I tried a re-boot, and found that my sda was now sdb, and the card was
> > recognised as sda.  Then I tried to mount it:
> > ---
> > mount /dev/hda /mnt/cardreader
> > mount: block device /dev/hda is write-protected, mounting read-only
> > mount: No medium found
> > [root@anne-linux anne]# umount /mnt/cardreader
> > umount: /mnt/cardreader: not mounted
> > ----
> >
> > I presume that this means that it is finding the CF slot, for which I
> > don't have a card, and not the SM slot, in which I have placed a card.
> >
> > Is that your interpretation?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Oh, one other thing, look in you file browser, at the /mnt partition and
> see if it shows something there.  Mine shows "memory_card". I did not make
> that file, the system did when it saw I had a card reader attached. So if
> yours shows something different than "cardreader" try mounting what the
> system made up for you and see what happens.

BTW - is there any way to deal with this swapping identities?  I have just
realised that fstab is attempting to mount /dev/sda as /mnt/LS120 - but
Konqueror is showing it with a padlock, like a fd or cdrom with no disk in -
which again suggests to me that it is seeing the CF card.

Anyway, if I unplug the cardreader - I would not normally have it plugged in -
my LS120 will be on the wrong drivename.  And when I reboot it will return to
its own sda.

How is the name derived?  Is the position on the usb hub relevant?

Anne