On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Sevatio Octavio wrote:

> >ls -l /dev/mixer # do you have sufficient access to the device?
>
> I entered:  ls -l /dev/mixer #
> & I get: crw-rw-rw 1 root root  14,  0 May  5  1998 /dev/mixer

c       tells it's a character device
r       read access for owner
w       write access for owner
-       nothing this is usualy x which is executable
r       read access for group
w       write access for group
-       nothing same as before, these can also be other things like s for suid
r       read access for anyone
w       write access for anyone

So yes you have access to /dev/mixer

> How would you interpret this?
> also...
> >lsmod # do you see anything that might be a sound driver?
>
> I get:
> Module    Size   Used by
> sound  57272  0  (autoclean) (unused)
> soundlow  300  0  (autoclean) [sound]
> soundcore  2372  3  (autoclean) [sound]

This is sound, but i do not see a driver for any specific card. I assume
you ran sndconfig as root? what does the conf.modules look like?

rmmod sound
rmmod soundlow
rmmod soundcore
modprobe sound > ~/sounds.broke 2>&1

Now whats ~/sounds.broke have in it? (less ~/sounds.broke) errors?
also maybe something in /var/log/messages. (tail -n10 /var/log/messages)

> nls-iso-8859-1  2020  1  (autoclean)

This is a charset.. (modinfo -d nls-iso-8859-1 # Might say better)

> nsfd  150648  1  (autoclean)
> lockd  30888  1  (autoclean)  [nfsd]
> sunrpc  52644  1  (autoclean)  [nfsd lockd]

nfs modules

> rtl8139  11964  1  (autoclean)

your ethernet card.. (modinfo -d rtl8139)

> Now, how do you interpret that data?  How do you know if it lists the sound driver?

Umm cause it says "sound" three times in a row ;)

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon