On Sunday December 1 2002 08:27 am, Anthony Abby wrote:
Charles wrote:
> > If there is a problem with your new kernel and it will not boot
> > then you are screwed since you have no other kernel with which you
> > can boot.
> >
> > If on the other hand you have installed your new kernel using -ivh
> > then your old kernel still exist and is still bootable.
> >
> > Using -ivh for all kernel installs is standard practice.
> >
> > You have been lucky thus far but luck is fickle and has a bad habit
> > of changing, mine usually from bad to worse. (-:
>
> Ahh, got it, but I usually keep a boot disk around also.  Never had
> to use it though.
>
> Anthony

     You'd be very lucky if the old bootdisk works, because when
upgrading a kernel (-Uvh) you've changed more than just the kernel
image (vmlinux). Charles is correct, never UPgrade, always INstall
(-ivh). After the new kernel is installed, it should be a boot option,
but the current kernel should be kept as the default till you've used
the new one for a while without any issues.  When/if you decide to make
the new kernel the default, then make a bootdisk for it (not before).

     The best instructions for newbies for installing kernels is
  http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/index.html#ku  Beginner's
should read all four pages, including the trouble shooting section at
the end before tryin to install a new kernel.

    IMO, the best method for compiling your own is to use Mandrake's
source (eg, kernel-source-2.4.20-0.5mdk is the current one). One thing
not stressed enough, first edit Makefile as suggested, backup  .config
and then you _must_ run 'make mrproper' as the first step. EG,

cd /usr/src/linux
cp .config config.save
make mrproper
cp config.save .config

  Then continue on with configuration and compiling ...