I've setup the pop server exactly as it on the Win98 box.
I've even written a Java pop3 client test prorgram.
I have run this Java client on all three on my machines at home.
Here are the results.

On MDK 9.0: getTotalMessages() == 0;
On Solaris9:  getTotalMessages() == 65;
On Win98:     getTotalMessages() == 65;

I'm lost.
I'm know that KMail is making contact with my mail server because
it prompts for a password. After which I'm authenticated.
But, the pop3 client that I have written is:
 try {
        Pop3Client pop3Client = new Pop3Client("pop-server.elp.rr.com");
        boolean status = pop3Client.connect();
        if(status){
            status = pop3Client.login("myUserName","myPassword");
            if(status){
                System.out.println("Number of new messages = " +
pop3Client.getTotalMessages();
            }
        }
}
catch(Exception e1){
    System.out.println("Pop3Client |" + e1);
}

 Very simple test program.
On MDK 9.0 the print statement ALWAYS prints.
number of new messages = 0.

Go figure