Hi, this is a bit of a long one, but I need some help, and need to give as
much info as possible.
I use a modem/router to access the internet. It is a Alcatel speed touch
Pro. The ethernet card is a Realtek 8139. Mandrake driver is 8139too.
Computer is a P4, with all the usual.
Under windows, I have no problems accessing, it automatically configures and
no probs (WinXP). Under Red Hat 8.0 I had no problems at all, it
automatically configured, and accessed the internet out of the box. I want
to use Mandrake 9.0, and can't for the life of me get it working. I am
relatively new to linux.
Now, all details as far as I can gather are entered properly, such as eth0
ip 10.0.0.1, subnet mask 255.0.0.0, gateway 10.0.0.138(modem address). When
the software installed, I chose to automatically detect, and chose through
the ethernet card, and selected auto dhcp.., and start on boot... since then
I have tried inputting the manual figures as it didn't work. One thing I
found was that lisa was not set up. I put all the info in as it was in rh80,
and the thing actually connected to the net. I was surfing. But on re-boot,
it didn't want to work again!! Damn. Very strange. I checked that lisa
hadn't lost the settings, and they were all there still. I am having
problems when ever I use the mandrake control centre to try connecting to
the internet, eth0 looses all the inet addr and Mask details. When ever I
exit the control centre, and drak saves configurations, eth0 goes down. I
use ifconfig to bring it back up, and allocate the correct details and it
appears o.k (ifconfig eth0 pointopoint 10.0.0.1 netmast 255.0.0.0). I also
notice that the multicast parameter also gets deactivated, and I have to
also activate that again (multiall). But won't connect to the internet. What
baffles me is how it connected once, and now I can't get it to work at all.

please help me problem solve this, my computer is about to get thrown off
the balcony I swear!

thanks Greg.