On Monday 02 December 2002 04:58 pm, greg wrote:
> Hi, this is a bit of a long one, but I need some help, and need to give as
> much info as possible.
> I use a modem/router to access the internet. It is a Alcatel speed touch
> Pro. The ethernet card is a Realtek 8139. Mandrake driver is 8139too.
> Computer is a P4, with all the usual.
> Under windows, I have no problems accessing, it automatically configures
> and no probs (WinXP). Under Red Hat 8.0 I had no problems at all, it
> automatically configured, and accessed the internet out of the box. I want
> to use Mandrake 9.0, and can't for the life of me get it working. I am
> relatively new to linux.
> Now, all details as far as I can gather are entered properly, such as eth0
> ip 10.0.0.1, subnet mask 255.0.0.0, gateway 10.0.0.138(modem address). When
> the software installed, I chose to automatically detect, and chose through
> the ethernet card, and selected auto dhcp.., and start on boot... since
> then I have tried inputting the manual figures as it didn't work. One thing
> I found was that lisa was not set up. I put all the info in as it was in
> rh80, and the thing actually connected to the net. I was surfing. But on
> re-boot, it didn't want to work again!! Damn. Very strange. I checked that
> lisa hadn't lost the settings, and they were all there still. I am having
> problems when ever I use the mandrake control centre to try connecting to
> the internet, eth0 looses all the inet addr and Mask details. When ever I
> exit the control centre, and drak saves configurations, eth0 goes down. I
> use ifconfig to bring it back up, and allocate the correct details and it
> appears o.k (ifconfig eth0 pointopoint 10.0.0.1 netmast 255.0.0.0). I also
> notice that the multicast parameter also gets deactivated, and I have to
> also activate that again (multiall). But won't connect to the internet.
> What baffles me is how it connected once, and now I can't get it to work at
> all.
>
> please help me problem solve this, my computer is about to get thrown off
> the balcony I swear!
>
> thanks Greg.

Greg, as per earlier posts on the alcatel, check that you have the
"speedtouch" packages installed there are two it would seem logical that they
were installed if you connected once but never-the-less check that those
packages are in. Other thing is, did you install smoothwall? that can tend to
get in the way until a minimal config is done to allow internet traffic. HTH
--
Dennis M.  linux user # 180842