> On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 10:45, Angus Auld wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the pointers Charlie, Stephen.
> > I am now getting a 30 second delay, for some reason however, lilo has switched to
>a graphical login mode! I want the text mode, and I had it since installing 9.0.
> >
> > I have tried changing it back to text mode in MCC, but when I reboot, it goes back
>to graphical mode. :-/
> >
> > What's up with that?? I must have messed something up somewhere. I guess my system
>was too much in order. Should have left well enough alone maybe......can't learn that
>way though!
> >
> > I installed watchdog-5.2-2mdk, xmms-cdread-0.14a-2mdk, and the latest
>wallpaper-0.1-4tex. Could watchdog have something to do with this behaviour? Anyone
>have any experience w/watchdog? I've been monkeying with file associations lately too.
> >
> > Where is the file that contains the info for lilo's boot mode? I don't see any
>mention of that in /etc/lilo.conf.
> >
> > My system seems to be working OK.
> >
> > TIA for any help. :-)
> >
> > --Angus
> >
> > "An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows
>absolutely everything about nothing."
> > --Anon.
> >

> Here's what my lilo.conf looks like:
> /etc/lilo.conf
>
> prompt
> timeout=50
> default=Linux
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> message=/boot/message
> vga=1
> lba32
>
> ...now, where it says vga=1, remove that.
>
> Then, under the parts below:
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3
>       label=Linux
>       initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-3.img
>       read-only
>       root=/dev/hda5
>       append="hdd=ide-scsi"
>
> ...you might see something else pertaining to either vga or graphics -
> remove them. Save the lilo.conf, re-run lilo. Then you're back to text
> mode. Dig dat!
>
> --
> Tue Dec  3 10:50:01 EST 2002
>    .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
> --------------------------------
> |            __    __          | kühn media australia
> |           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
> |          .\__/ || |   |      |
> |       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
> |      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> |      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> |      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
> |      ;"""/ / |         |     |
> |  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
> |      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
> --------------------------------
> Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn
>
> Be sure to evaluate the bird-hand/bush ratio.

Here's a copy of my lilo.conf for you to peruse. I don't know what you mean by
removing vga=1. Mine is vga=normal, and that seems to refer to the actual video mode
(resolution) for boot up! I changed the settings in MCC again, and for mode I chose
"ask me". Well that was a mistake! :-S
I then got myself into a frightening episode w/a cursor blinking at me waiting for me
to answer! DUH! Not sure.
I guess I needed the reminder to let me know that I'm still a big-time newbie....still
a bit of "text phobia" of sorts. :-(

All I want is my "text menu lilo boot screen" back. Mdk just doesn't want to give it
back to me for some reason. I can make the changes in MCC, click OK, and then open the
configure box again to see that it has changed back to "lilo with graphical menu". I
want "lilo with text menu".

Anyone have any idea why I can't get that back?

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber

*Reg. Linux User #278931*