Hi everyone,

I have tried finding a solution in the archives of newbie and expert, but
this won't get me anywhere. Also mandrakeuser.org has nothing for me...

I am doing something very wrong with samba authentication.

I have user paul on my linux box.
I also have user paul on a winblows pc. (Call that 'log in'? ;)
I have added user paul for samba, as root: smbuser -a paul
With "smbpasswd -U paul" I set the samba password to the loginpassword I use
on linux and also on the winblows machine.
Workgroup name in smb.conf and winblows is identical.
Running testparm shows no problems in smb.conf.
Problem occurs with and without user.map file.

And what does /var/log/samba/log.p400 tell me:

[2002/12/03 17:20:27, 0] passdb/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(827)
  smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User paul !
[2002/12/03 17:20:30, 0] passdb/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(827)
  smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User paul !
[2002/12/03 17:20:34, 0] passdb/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(827)
  smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User paul !

As there is info in the logfile, there is a connection to the linux machine.
(I know the network setup is okay, since FTP works just fine.)

The windows (98) end of things state:
Error 86: The specified network password is not correct. Type the correct
password, or contact your network administrator.

So it is just the samba authentication that blows up. Does anyone have a
pointer for me?

Thanks.
Paul

--
On a Bucharest elevator:
The lift is being fixed for the next days.

http://nlpagan.net    -    Linux Mandrake 8.2     -   Sylpheed 0.8.6
Help Microsoft combat software piracy: give Linux to a friend today!