Thanks for all the help thats come flooding in. However, whilst SSH seems the
way to go, it poses another question. If I were to enable ssh on my PC, I
think its unlikely that the PC I was using from the remote site would have
the necessary clients available.

I can see the advantages if you were ssh'ing from another PC on which you
could load the necessary clients. It is now looking like the only route is a
webmail type of setup.

I imagine the PC's I'm going to have access to while away will be internet
cafe machines.

Thanks again.

Mark A