----- Original Message -----
From: "Stormjumper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 06:06:02 +0800
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [newbie] unreadable files? :-/

> Angus, were you the original poster?
>
> forgive me if i got it all wrong,
> but i think the original poster was facing a problem of
> being unable to get back to his text based boot-up screen.
>
> /boot/message is a symbolic link to message-text or message-graphic.
>
> i guess if you re-create your message-text,
> and symbolically link message to message-text
> (and run lilo again?)
> you may get back your text boot-up screen.
>
> well, working purely on guesswork here,
> so pls correct me if i'm wrong. :)

Yes Stormjumper, I was the original poster on this topic. I have the sym link
/boot/message and the file it is linked to, message-text. The only thing is that these
files, along with others in /boot & /boot/grub are now an "unknown" file type
containing strange looking data.

Looks like something has caused this, and I'm suspecting that this is the reason lilo
will not display the text menu that I had all along, since installing 9.0. If I can't
read these files, would lilo be able to display them? I don't know anything about what
this means. Just poking around.

The following files in /boot are "unknown":
boot0300, map, message-graphic, message-text, us.klt, vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk

I have a bunch of "unknown" files in /boot/grub too.
Anyone else see this? Anyone who is using the text menu for lilo?

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber