On Wednesday 04 Dec 2002 10:14 am, Dennis & Sue wrote:
> Something I've wondered about, And have yet to receive a satifying answer
> for :
> What is the " best" way to partition your drive, and Why ?
> Why set up / ,  /var ,  / usr , / home , What's the logic, or purpose of
> this ?
> I've set mine up with seperate partitions for  / , and /user.
> I've also set partitions up  / , and /home.
> also, just one partition for / .
> of the three ways I've done it, going   / , /home seemed like the best when
> it came time for a reinstall , ( reload  /  No need to worry about / home
> everything is restored as it was before mucking up / ).
> When I went  / , /usr I had  to format both partitions, or neither. So I
> lost my / home settings.

Supplementary question:  I have /home set as a separate partition and all the
rest in one.  I did this because it seemed to me that this would be a more
'elastic' way, in the sense that I didn't know sensible sizes for other
partitions, and I figured that just doing them as directories instead of
partitions would allow them to self-adjust.  Was I right?  Are there any
serious problems with this strategy?

Anne