On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 08:10, Ken Walker wrote:
> I have a folder called Cad12.
>
> I originally created it su root.
>
> so i log on as me, say kenny
>
> then i su to root
>
> i change the group ownership of that folder to Cad
>
> then i go to a LM8.1 machine and  smbmount to Cad12.
>
> no prob.
>
> do a couple of cp's to cad12, check out everythings doing what i wanted.
>
> no prob.
>
> say 10 minutes goes by.
>
> now i'm ready to cp the whole contents of a folder.
>
> It says permission denied.
>
> so i think ok, i'll smbumount the mounted folder and start again.
>
> I get permission denied again, can't smbumount.
>
> look on the LM9 machine, and bugger me the group has gone back to root.
>
> So change it back to Cad
>
> to back to LM8.1 and can now smbumount.
>
> This has been going on for a few days on this LM9 machine.
>
> Every time i change permissions, groups, owners it reverts back to the
> original settings within say 10 minutes
>
> Can anybody explain this.
>
> It even does it in the middle of a directory copy to the smbmounted machine
> and kills the copy.
>
> I really don't understand why it changes everything back on its own. I DON'T
> WANT IT TO.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mr Smiley

That's truly mega-weird-strange-freaky-mindboggling....and you ain't
been smoking nuthin today, right? (JOKING)

I wouldn't think that SMB would be changing the perms on the
files/folders...at least I'm fairly certain it wouldn't...

(Gosh, Batman - that doesn't happen on my RH box...)
(g)

--
Sat Dec  7 08:25:00 EST 2002
  8:25am  up 1 day, 38 min,  4 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.12, 0.22
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.