Just thought I'd mention that on my 9 yr olds Gigabyte motherboard (itself
about 3 yrs old), I went back into:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt

and changed it some more. Near the end of the file there were not 1 but 2
"-p" commands. Removing *both* of them got rid of the shutdown errors I was
seeing under v9.0 of Mandrake.

The last text now is "System Halted", as it should be (short of a complete
powerdown).

Hope this helps others who were having the same problem with older
motherboards and v9.0... :-)

--
                                                                          /\
                                                                 Dark<  >Lord