Thanks for everbodies help - the only solution was to use GnoRPM to first
verify all gnome graphical desktop packages and then re-install all that
had errors by upgrading with the "allow replacement of packages" option
enabled in the preferences.  This process seemed possible only with GnoRPM
and not Mandrake software manager rpmdrake.
Thanks and by,
Morgan.

--
Morgan Read