From: "Brandon Vanderberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 4:35 PM
Subject: [newbie] CDROM troubles

Hi folks, sorry for the FAQ. But, I've read lots of howto's and tons of
threads on the subject in various boards, and am more confused than when
I started.

The trouble is with my IDE CD-ROM burner. I'm not trying to burn at this
point, just read data CDs reliably. Right now it's hit and miss. An
example:

ls /mnt/cdrom - I see the files.
cp /mnt/cdrom/*.jpg  /home/me/documents/ - Some files make it, some
don't
ls /mnt/cdrom - I see a list of files, but each says it's an invalid
file or directory.

I believe I need to switch to ide-scsi from ide-cd, but I'm not sure. Is
there a simple way to get this working? The howto's I've read seem to
require a mastery of Linux I just don't have.

Info:
Mandrake 9.0

cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.11a32 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg
Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) *
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-32123S      ' 'XS0R' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

more /etc/fstab
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/scd0       /mnt/cdrom      auto
codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,user,nodev 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

--